Monday, December 4, 2006

Eastern Shore



Finally, I found a way to post these pictures. I have posted them on Flickr, a Yahoo feature and the editor can transfer over the images to this posting on Blogger. It's a pain and I can't see them while I'm writing. I'm still hoping to upload the images directly form the computer, as I hhad been doing until this weekend.



On Friday, Art and I got a boat out twice in the same day. First we went east, around Bonaparte point to a shore I had only seen from on top of the glacier. The bergs were fantastic, as you can see. Very stimulating to my sculpture mind. After lunch we took the boat to Torgensen Island where we watched the skua steal eggs from the Adelies.



This is one giant berg, at least for here and now, Even though it looks like two, it is clearly connected underwater.





There was a group of Gentoo penguins. You can tell them by their red bills. One of those birds is not a penguin.





We saw this berg later in the day back at Arthur Harbor. The blue gets me every time. This is a piece of stripy ice, one of the things I didn't expect to see.

14 Comments:

Blogger KELLI BELLY said...

These are absolutely amazing! I can only dream of doing something like this:0)

12/4/06, 11:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would so love to see this in person! Just Stunning!

12/5/06, 1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking at my blogger dashboard and saw you guys featured there. What a happy accident. I'm going to post about your site. I love this stuff.

12/5/06, 3:10 AM  
Blogger Gunnar Heinrich said...

Extraordinary blues. Such a beautiful, if unkind environment.

12/5/06, 4:59 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!! The most beautiful sight. I suppose heaven looks similar to this (minus the cold)

12/5/06, 6:35 AM  
Blogger l'ennui said...

I clicked your link, and am so happy I did. This is a wonderful wonderful blog. I am insanely jealous of you, and wish you every bit of luck possible, hoping you can faithfully recreate those beautiful frozen artworks.

12/5/06, 11:19 AM  
Blogger SusanE said...

What a truly wonderful experience you must be having.

Slow internet can make uploading pictures difficult. Last year I was in the Yukon and it was very time consuming to post pictures.

Whatever it takes, keep doing it, I love your images.

12/5/06, 12:08 PM  
Blogger Argrow Images said...

I like these bergs!

Really wanna be there!

12/5/06, 12:24 PM  
Blogger pilgrimchick said...

The colors here are very unique because you get to see so many contrasting shades of blue in one shot. The whole experience must certainly bring the idea of exploration into reality.

12/5/06, 12:40 PM  
Blogger Alto2 said...

I cannot get over the blue ice. Blue ice! Amazing. The top couple of icebergs are very sculptural in their essence. They looked like whales' flukes to me. Then again, my idea of art is drawing stick figures. ;-)

Glad to see you found a way to work around Blogger.

12/5/06, 3:27 PM  
Blogger Suzi-k said...

how do the time zones work there, in narrow slices or one overall zone? We are GMT plus 2 hours, and when I visited last night (Monday)at 7pm this Tuesday post was already up.

12/6/06, 4:47 AM  
Blogger Heidi on Vashon said...

What I want to know is, when the people visiting and studying here sleep at night, do they dream about being warm at home? I LOVE The photos and drama of it all, but wouldn't be a sensory overload that makes you wanna check out fast back to a warm cushy couch?

12/6/06, 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey David -

Great pix! I can't wait to see the glass that will come after the trip!

Was looking for your blog for a while now. You weren't up yet last time I checked. John at your studio just told me you were. Yay!

Okay if I put a link to yours on mine? http://glassmeow.livejournal.com/

12/8/06, 3:51 PM  
Blogger tina said...

this blog is nice ^_^ i love the ice!

9/6/07, 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home