Sunday, November 26, 2006

Weather Room

Today I wanted to write about our weather room. This little place, Palmer Station, is a hub of communications and monitoring equipment. In another post I will show some of the scientific experiments that are being monitored here, from the magnetosphere to the seismograph.

But first I just have to show these two pictures of our sunset last night. Although it never gets dark here, the sun goes down at about almost 11PM. It rises at 3:15AM (We are on Chilean Daylight Time, three hours behind London GMT.) Yesterday evening the sun and colors just went wild.


Here are our tide tables:


This one shows the salinity of the water. I'm not sure about the units. The water is rather more fresh than out in the open ocean. I had observed on the Gould as we were crossing the Drake that the salinity was close to 33 as opposed to 20's here.

Maybe we are in for some weather. The barometer is dropping slowly.

Yesterday's air temperature almost made if up to freezing.

I think that curly, stormy looking thing is headed our way.

The summary for the continent:
The weather room.
With all the monitors.

12 Comments:

Blogger ALEX COLOM JACOB said...

Very good blogger!!!
I like so much!

11/26/06, 6:09 PM  
Blogger mirk said...

I bet you have never heard this one before WOW! ;0)

Just found your blog the other day excellent and very refreshing to find a blog from such an unusual place I'll be back!

Oh the pix are stunning.

11/26/06, 8:41 PM  
Blogger KrisinHawaii said...

I'm linking you--I'm in Hawaii. Is the temp really 31 degrees F.? Somehow that seems warmer than I expected this time of year. wow...gorgeous photos. keep blogging! :)

11/26/06, 8:58 PM  
Blogger b.a.r.d. said...

Fascinating trip. Breathtaking photos. (Glad I stumbled upon your blog while you’re still there. I have added a link.)

11/26/06, 9:17 PM  
Blogger Snoskred said...

I have been reading your blog for a few days now and I am really enjoying it. Gorgeous photos and very interesting info. :) Well done!

I hope you manage to work out a good way of getting the casts you want from the ice. It really is stunning. But maybe a photo exhibition might be the better (or easier!) way to represent this art? :)

11/26/06, 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! And thanks for sharing your experiences and raising awareness for what is going on there. Is it true that the ice packs are melting more rapidly than they should, or have, recently in history? What is the general consensus about this among the scientists who are there? I have seen so many disparate reports about this I don't know what to believe. Another question: how different is it to live in a pollution free environment? And lstly, can you send some pictures of the "southern lights"? (Aureas bourealis, I think?)

11/27/06, 12:00 AM  
Blogger Suzi-k said...

Thanks for the wonderful blog and daily updates, your photos are great. Hope the moulding is going better, looking forward to some brilliant scultures emerging from all this. By the way the one in the photo at the very bottom of your first post is STUNNING, please give some info about it, size, price etc?

11/27/06, 5:09 AM  
Blogger Nothing said...

marvellous blog! keep up the good work!

11/27/06, 6:52 AM  
Blogger Argrow Images said...

Great posts, nice pictures!
Enjoy reading it!

11/27/06, 10:43 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Fabulous blog, thanks for sharing :)

11/27/06, 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did i mention my maiden name was Palmer? - i think that and the facts that i) i am totally obsessed with the Arctic and Antarctic and ii) your blog is such a wonderful 'window' for all of us who may never get to see it for real is why i think your blog is so great.

11/27/06, 6:20 PM  
Blogger the jester-in-exile said...

nice blog... i love the photography!

12/1/06, 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home