Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving on Ice

Thanksgiving was postponed a day at Palmer Station due to the arrival of the National Geographic cruise ship, the Endeavor. Yesterday (Friday) was gray all day until we sat down for dinner at about 6PM. The sun came out and the glacier was illuminated, going through color changes every minute or two. I think the sun helped the ice to calve form the face and last night we saw a pile of new brash ice in the far corner of Arthur harbor. This early morning has a very low spike tide (-3feet) that drew the ice out into the ocean. then the incoming tide and the wind drove it back, all broken up and shaped into sculptures.

The glacier was brilliantly illuminated in the morning.

Compared to last night at about 9PM.


I had been focusing on a part of the glacier slightly to the north. I has the best detail and blue caverns and cracks. But yesterday the most active part was further south, in our cove. In this picture you can see some big blocks about ready to come down. Last night the ice filled up the cove and was spread out all over by this morning.


The view out over Arthur Harbor from the Station.


The ice today was different. More like compressed snow with a lot less drink ice, the clear bits that were exciting me before. I love the transparency and the battuto texture of the clear, but this stuff has wonderful organic forms. the change fast, too, as they float along, get washed by the waves and erode.


This one washed up on the north side of the point. Just as I photographed it the head broke off and the piece turned over. I waded out on the rocks and snagged the head, although some parts of it broke off before I could get it into our refrigerator container.


This stuff got caught on the South side, right by our water outfall. Probably not advisable to mold it, even if the textures are so good.

Meanwhile, our cooks had prepared a fabulous meal. Here is sous-chef extraordinaire, Shawn with Ben who also baked some pies. These people even baked two low sugar pies for me, a pumpkin and a mixed berry pie. Mmmm good! And left-over pie for breakfast, too.

Our intrepid leader, Bob Farrell, the station manager giving a toast.


My plate at dinner included half an artichoke, a lamb chop, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roll and fresh fruit salad.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures!!... I'm from Chile, I found this blog and I'm impressed with these landscapes.

Congratulations for your work!!

11/25/06, 2:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The photos you take just amaze me. I love your blog! Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. :)

11/25/06, 10:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fascinating!!
Betty G

11/25/06, 11:04 PM  
Blogger He.Marli said...

loved the Henry Moore- modigliani Arp like ice forms. was wondering about food looks good.The striped ice shape and your trials of casting brought me into thinking of a series of sculptures called piss flowers where the artist peed into teh snow and the form it made was cast- Helen. Chadvick? not sure. good luck m

11/26/06, 2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy thanksgiving, I'm from England, but currently living in NYC. I think you blog is fab, keep posting the pictures please.

11/26/06, 7:37 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Your pictures are FANTASTIC!

I've always dreamed about spending a season on the ice one day. (just a "summer", you couldn't pay me enough to spend a full year!)

I'm from Minnesota, so while it is winter here, it is summer there, fairly similar conditions really! :)

11/26/06, 8:55 AM  
Blogger IndyPindy said...

Wonderful pictures! I am a Siberian Husky and I would love to be there! I hope you don't mind if I link to you from my blog, my Husky friends will love your pictures!

11/26/06, 1:13 PM  
Blogger solaenelsol said...

I'm soooo jealous! This is so fabulous that you are able to do this, and thank you for sharing with the rest of the world! I'm a total beach bum so my friends thought I needed some prozac when I told them I desperately want to take a cruise to Antarctica.. Sometimes beach bums like the snow, too! I can't wait to read as the rest of your journey pans out.

11/26/06, 1:15 PM  
Blogger TuxBaby said...

Came in to look around after seeing you listed in the Blogs of Note...

And wow- these are some precious, priceless and gorgeous photos! Never again will I look at ice and snow and think "it's just ice."

Thanks for your careful journaling and giving what you do all the respect it deserves.

~TuxBaby, ordinary mom with a love of science

11/26/06, 1:49 PM  
Blogger BionicBuddha said...

Beautiful pictures, but it does look very cold!



www.bionicbuddha.com

11/26/06, 7:24 PM  
Blogger Professor Frank said...

That´s was a great journey, mate.
Thank you very much for the trip!!!

Frank from Brazil

11/27/06, 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, wow what an adventure, everything looks good
Love the Penquin pictures
The ice with the light are great
Goood lick to the crew and the trip

12/4/06, 1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home