Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Gerlache Passage

At 3:30 AM on November 16th, having trouble sleeping, I peaked out the porthole and saw we had arrived in the Gerlache Passage. Werner had told me that this was one thing he hoped to see in Antarctica, having heard that it was one of the most spectacular spots in the world. I couldn't agree more.

Since it never gets dark here, I could easily make out the mountains and rocks of the Antarctic Peninsula. It turned out to be an absolutely splendid, sunny morning. I got out the cameras and started snapping. The picture was so intense, I don't think I've ever beheld an earthly site so fine.

As we came out of the Drake passage we encountered some rough weather, and then some snow around the South Shetland Islands.


At 4:30 or 5AM the sun started bathing the tips of the Western side of the passage with the glow of dawn.
With the sun fully up the scene was quite vivid, almost unbelievably so. We saw an avalanche as we passed, but I wasn't quick enough to catch much of the dust cloud.


I set the video camera on deck and just let it run for three hours almost until we pulled in to Palmer.

People started getting up in the early morning.

Icebergs at dawn on the Gerlache.




Leaving Cape Sherriff.

5 Comments:

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Well I have to visit some day. I would love to scuba there, and also climb some as well. Great blog! You are linked on my page now!

11/21/06, 9:11 PM  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

I want to climb the vinson massif some day also.

11/21/06, 9:16 PM  
Blogger Ruth Annesley said...

WOW! Im am totally envious of you! Antarctica has always been a dream of mine to visit.. mainly for photography and of course the experience... jump at every chance you get. And enjoy! thanx for sharing :)

11/21/06, 9:27 PM  
Blogger Marcy or Martha, its the same person. said...

I just ran across your blog in "Blogs of Note" on Blogger. After seeing "March of the Penguins" several times I realized that it was not just the birds that mesmerized me but the landscape. You have a unique opportunity, not just for future artistic ventures, but for personal transformation. Seek both.
Good luck.

11/22/06, 4:53 AM  
Blogger julia said...

thank you for the most wonderful images of this magnificent wilderness - my dream is to one day get down there myself, I can only imagine what the silence and unbelievable beauty must be like!

11/29/06, 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home